Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cat Fish Tacos!

This meal is actually from a few weeks back, but I've been so busy posting about Valentines and my baby shower, my poor fish tacos got put on the back burner!

So a few weeks ago, I had 2 avocados going terribly ripe in my fruit bowl.
I was thinking "what can I make that utilizes avocados?"
It just so happened that I also had some leftover corn tortillas in my freezer, leftover from the last time I made chicken enchiladas.

Avocados?  Tortillas?  Sounds like it's time to make some fish tacos!

I am always lamenting that there is no good place near me to buy fresh fish at a great price (I know, I live biking distance to the ocean, yet, I am as screwed when it comes to buying seafood as a Mid-Westerner).

Poor little me, I reluctantly dragged my feet to the local Ralphs and bought the cheapest fish I saw: "catfish nuggets".  I bought 2 pounds.
The catfish nuggets looked as appetizing as the name: random chunks of wet, slimy, catfish meat.

I checked out the tomato and onion prices at Ralphs, thinking I could make some pico de gallo, but after seeing their prices, it looks like my fish tacos will simply consist of fish, avocados and tortillas.

To make the fish tacos, I started by coating the catfish nuggets in some corn starch, salt, and pepper.  Then in my cast iron skillet, I poured a thin layer of canola oil and cooked each side of the catfish nuggets until golden and crispy.  I have to say,  the cat fish actually tasted a lot better than I expected.  It was actually pretty good!
I steamed the tortillas in the microwave and sliced up the avocados.

We assembled the fish tacos at the dinner table ourselves. 
Extra fish and avocados for me please!
Perhaps some people would prefer a little more flavor in their tacos, like some salsa, but we were quite happy with simply the fish and avocados.

By the way, if you know of any good fishmongers on the Westside, please tell me!!

No comments: