Friday, November 16, 2012

Thresher Shark steaks


I have a really atypical dish to share with you all today!

While at the supermarket last weekend buying seafood for some seafood risotto (which I still have yet to make), I found these beautiful thresher shark steaks for $8.99 per pound.
I have never eaten shark steaks before, never seen shark steaks (raw or cooked) before, and have never cooked shark steaks before.  This was the perfect opportunity to knock out all 3.

I purchased 2 shark steaks and quickly pulled up some recipe ideas. I adapted a marinade that I found on Chowhound, where I marinated the shark steaks over night in soy sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, white pepper, black pepepr, and crushed red pepper flakes.  Then adapting from a different recipe, I drizzled the shark steaks in some canola oil and broiled it for 6 minutes on the first side, and 5 minutes on the other side.

The steaks came out meaty, tender, flavorful and more undercooked in the center than I would have preferred. I recommend cooking these for maybe 7 minutes on the first side and 6 minutes on the second side.
It was a very odd experience, as the shark steak seemed like a cross between fish and beef -- it had the flavor of fish but the texture and denseness of beef.

If I were to make this again, I think I would like to just do a simple salt and pepper seasoning with butter on top (like as you would a beef steak) to taste more of the natural shark flavor.  Though I'm not sure if I would have shark steaks again anytime soon, they are high in mercury and I hear are endangered(?).

I plan on making seafood risotto next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the same time, you also have to rein yourself in and stay mainly focused on business related topics. There is a way to show personality while keeping things professional. If you would think twice before saying something in a phone call or email to a customer, you should leave it out of your blog.

[url=http://cheapjordans2013.nichesite.org/]air jordans[/url]

You will start to see what your visitors and customers respond to and tailor your efforts to give them what they want.

[url=http://louisvuittonhandbags8.likesyou.org/]cheap louis vuitton outlet[/url]