Thursday, June 30, 2011

How To Butterfly Lobster Tails

Yesterday was the first time I made lobster tails at home, and it turned out to be quite a success!

Lobster tails were on sale so I purchased two.
I decided to "Butterfly" the lobster tail, which is how its typically done in restaurants.  To butterfly lobster tails, you are basically pulling the meat out of the shell and placing it on top the shell.


How to Butterfly Lobster Tails:
  1. Hold the lobster tail with the top side facing upward.  Using kitchen shears, you cut a line through the top of the shell all the way to the base of the tail.  Don't cut the meat!.  (If you can see.. I cut a line down the top lobster tail).
                                       
  2. Using your fingers, gently (emphasis on gently!) separate the entire lobster meat from the lobster shell.  but leave the tail intact, so the lobster meat is still connected to the tail part.  Keep working until the entire lobster meat is separated from the shell.
  3. Close the empty lobster shell together and gently rest the lobster meat on top.
  4. Cut a small slit down the center of the lobster meat, and seperate the two flaps (I could have done that more....)

How to cook:
Lobster is so good on its own.  So no need for a marinate or salt or pepper.
Simply preheat your oven to 450 degrees F, and bake the lobster tails for 12-14 minutes.
Make sure to check on it periodically to make sure it does not burn.
Before eating, put a small pat of butter on top (optional).

2 comments:

Van said...

How did you get the tail to stay straight and not curl up? I always had to use skewers (or toothpicks) to hold them in place while they cooked.

Jennifer Lin Yang said...

I didn't do anything! I just layed it on the shell and voila. I guess I got lucky. ;)