Friday, August 1, 2008

Tomato Beef Stew

I never realized what a great combination beef and tomatoes are!
The tomatoes' sharp flavors combines well with beef's robust and meaty flavor.


This dish was inspired by the dish my ex-boss made recently at a potluck, and it also reminded me of a more soupier tomato and beef stew dish my Dad used to make at the restaurant he owned.


Based off those two inspirations, I created my own dish with my own input and ideas!

What I liked best about this dish, is that it's so healthy, and it can be refrigerated into tupperware containers, served over a bed of rice or pasta, for well-rounded sack lunch meal at the office! :)


Tomato Beef Stew


Ingredients:


- 3/4 pound of boneless beef (I just picked the cheapest cut of beef at the store =D)
- 5-6 medium tomatoes (I used roma tomatoes)
- 3 oz of tomato paste
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1/3 of a large onion (I used had a gigantic onion, so i used about 1/5 of that =P)
- sprinkle of olive oil
- sprinkle of salt

Instructions:

1. Gather all your ingredients. Be sure to rinse all your produce and meats before starting.















2. Cut the beef into thin pieces or slices.

3. Mix the soy sauce and sugar in a bowl, and marinate the beef slices in this marinade for about 15 minutes.
















4. Dice up your tomatoes and onions.
















5. In a large skillet or wok, heat up some olive oil, then add your onions.

6. Saute the onions, then add the marinated beef















7. When the beef is almost cooked, add the tomatoes.















8. Stir the tomatoes until the juices start flowing.

9. Stir in the tomato paste, and bring the food to a bowl















10. Turn down the heat to low, and simmer for about 40 minutes.

11. Serve your tomato beef stew over a bed of rice of pasta, or place it in a tupperware for tomorrow's sack lunch!

1 comment:

Jeff Yang said...

Mmm, this tastes great!