Monday, April 11, 2011

Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes

Yes! it's another slow cooker dish!
This time, it's a side dish: scalloped potatoes.

Typically, scalloped potatoes are made in the oven, where it comes out bubbly and crunchy at the top.  Although I prefer that over the slow cooker version, where there is no crunchy bubbliness, but on a work night... convenience wins.  :)

I sliced up about 3 pounds of potatoes, with the skin still on.  I did it manually since I don't own a mandolin slicer, and personally, those things creep me out.  Usually, the recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup, but I *hate* cream of mushroom soup.  I found this thing called "cream of chicken" soup at the store.  Never heard of it, but willing to try it, so I threw that with the potatoes.  Added cream (I use half & half, which has less fat than cream), salt, and several handfuls of cheese. 

Set the slow cooker on high for 6 hours. I used a timer to shut off my slow cooker at the 6 hour mark, since I would am not home to turn it off).
The potatoes came out warm, creamy, and cheesy.  Who wouldn't enjoy that.  =)
Unfortunately, I made too much (I recommend 1 pound next time, not 3 pounds), and I ended up having to toss some. =(

No comments: