So this recipe post is wayy behind!
I made cupcakes for Jeff's birthday, which was Sept 14, and I am posting the recipe on on the 25th...
ok, I'm not that far behind!
So Grace lent me this Mexican cake recipe of hers (thanks!), since I wanted to try a new form of chocolate cake!
Of course, Jeff likes his cake in cupcake form, so I poured the cake batter into cupcake paper. and the cupcakes came out very.... unique.
Mexican cupcakes have more of a spice flavor, rather than the milk chocolate flavor my taste buds are accustomed to.
So if you like chocolate with a spice/cinnamon-y flavor, this is a recipe to try:
Mexican Chocolate Cake/Cupcake
3 disks of Mexican chocolate, chopped
2 oz of unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I cheated and used semi- sweet!)
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs (separated)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
1. Chop up the Mexican chocolate. It was hard work! phew!
2. Add the unsweetened/semi sweet choclate to Mexican chocolate
3. In a separate bowl, pour in the flour
4. Add baking powder, salt and cinnamon with the flour.
5. Gather the remainder of your ingredients! Yea. That's a good idea...
6. Separate your eggs. I separate eggs by transferring the egg yolk from one shell to another, then letting the egg white drip into a bowl, in the process.
7. The eggs are separated! (whites on the left, yolks on the right)
8. Melt the chocolates. I melted my chocolate by immersing the chocolate bowl in a hot pot of boiling water, and covering the pot.
9. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
11. Add in melted chocolate and mix well. Yum?
13. Add in flour mixture and milk, alternating. Mix well. Add in 1/3 of egg whites.
14. All mixed!
15. Beat egg whites til stuff, then fold in remaining egg whites.
16. Preheat oven to 350 F.
17. Line up cupcake cups, and fill cups 3/4 full with batter. Put into oven.
25- 30 minutes later.....
18. Cupcakes are done baking!!
19. Frost the cupcakes.
20. Birthday boy and his cupcakes!