Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Salty Steamed Chicken REVISED

GAH. I have been so behind on posting my recipes!
But it seems like every time I post 1 entry, that takes about 30-1 hour... I have no idea why I take so long...

So today's recipe, is actually a revised version of a previous dish I made:
"Steamed Chicken"
, which was posted on August 16, 2007.

I was not thoroughly satisfied with my original attempt at the dish.
So I made some revisions and I tried again.
And I am GLAD that I tried again, because this time, it tasted so much better!

( some changes I have made was:
I used a whole chicken, I upped the amount of salt used, I left the salt sink into the chicken overnight, I added cinnamon and black pepper to the chicken, and I added minced garlic )


Salty Steamed Chicken (REVISED)

Ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 2 stalks of green onion (sliced)
- 2.5 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 10-15 fresh slices of ginger
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (smashed/minced)

Instructions
*note* preparing the chicken requires 2 days! so this isn't exactly a last minute meal-deal here!

1. Wash whole chicken and remove giblets
2. Cut butt cheek fat off chicken and discard
3. Towel dry the fowl. Rub salt and sugar all over the chicken, under the skin, on the skin, inside the cavity... everywhere!
4. Wrap chicken in a bag or saran wrap, and let chicken sit in the fridge over night. This allows the salt on the chicken to sink into the meat.
5. The following day.....
6. In a small bowl, combine the minced garlic, cinnamon, and black pepper.
7. Rub garlic mixture all over the chicken. Yes... under the skin, on the skin, inside the cavity... everywhere!
8. Lay sliced ginger and green overs on top of the chicken, under the skin, and inside the cavity, also.
9. Set chicken in steamer.
10. After the water boils, let the chicken steam for about 55 minutes to 1 hour.
11. Chicken is done when the meat no longer bleeds, and the skin pulls away from the bone.


Photos!:


Raw Chicken. All done marinating, ready to be steamed.




















Chicken, done steaming!
Notice, how the skin pulls away from the bone, on the legs. this usually is an indicator that the chicken is done!




















Me removing the chicken from the steamer!




















Whole chicken on a plate.



















Chop up the chicken!
Sorry.... I wish I knew how to cut chicken better.....

No comments: