Thursday, August 16, 2007

Steamed Chicken

Until I have a steamer, I will have to continue cooking with my weird steaming-apparatus.. =/

Oh well. I like steaming my food now! Because it's so much healthier than cooking things in a pan with oil, and it retains more flavor than boiling (and boiling causes meat to dry out too!)

So yay for steaming!
If anyone feeling generous, feel free to buy me a food steamer.... =D!
You can purchase my ideal food steamer here!:
http://importfood.com/stacked_steamer.html

So anyways, because I used a make-shift steamer, I was only able to steam about a pound of chicken.
However, I recommend that this dish be made in larger amounts, so I will be writing the recipe in terms of 3 pounds of chicken.

Salty Steamed Chicken

Ingredients:
- 1 Whole Chicken (or about 3 pounds of chicken pieces)
- 1- 1.5 tbsp Salt (try this. if you prefer a more salty flavor, up the salt to 2 tbsp)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Fresh Ginger (sliced)
- 2 stalks of Green Onions (sliced)

For Dipping Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger (sliced)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- pinch of sugar

*note*
I personally was not too fond of the dipping sauce, even though the other dip-user liked it.
Perhaps the next time I make steamed chicken, I will make a fish-sauce based dipping sauce in addition to this dipping sauce, so everyone can be happy!


Instructions:
1. Wash chicken and cut off any excess fat (eww... fat ::shudder::)
2. Rub salt, sugar, green onion, and ginger all over chicken and under the skin.
3. Set chicken in the steamer, and let steam for about 1 hour.
4. The chicken should be done when it's no long pink near the bone, and does not bleed.
5. When chicken is fully cooked, remove the chicken from the fatty water it's sitting in.
6. For the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients together.
7. Slice chicken and serve with the dipping sauce in a separate bowl.

how simple.
...
so simple, you (yes YOU) should make me some steamed chicken, while I go take a nap. =)

No comments: