I love Asian pan fried fish! I wish I had fish more often, but it's so hard when there is not Asian super maket nearby.
I luckily was able to buy some pompano fish recently, so I was quite happy. They taste good and are relatively cheap!
Pan Fried Pompano
- 2 Pompano fishes
- 6 thin slices of Ginger Root
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 - 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp oil
1. If the fish is not already gutted, gut the fish.
2. You gut fish by first cutting right under the fish's head. Then make an incision from underneath the head, down to the fish's belly. Yank out the innards and guts, and wash clean.
3. When fish is cleaned, rub salt all over the outside and inside of the fish.
4. Lay sliced ginger both outside and inside the fish.
Here is my prepared fish (still raw):
5. Place oil in skillet. When oil is hot, lay the fish into the skillet and cover.
6. When the fish is done cooking on one side (about 5 minutes on high heat), turn the fish over, being careful not the tear the thin fish skin. (Add more oil if you're having trouble).
7. Turn the fish over and cook until that side of the fish is cooked (about another 5 minutes or so). Cover or don't cover, your preference.
8. Pour soy sauce into skillet, then pour in water, making this gravy.
9. Turn fish over until both sides of the fish are coated in the gravy.
10. When the gravy thickens, the fish is done!
Here is my finished masterpiece. Mmm.: