Thursday, October 4, 2007

Healthy Dessert - Applesauce!

Apples and Applesauce!

I am cheating a bit, because I have not yet made applesauce yet .
(I've been so busy and tired lately! Forgive me!),
but I decided to put up an applesauce recipe on my blog, for several reasons:

1. I blog too much about food. How about a dessert idea for a change?
2. It's apple season! Even though apples grow year round, their peak season is September to November. And YAY. It's October right now, right in the middle!
3. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. And eating applesauce helps you eat more apples!
4. Applesauce is so easy, you can't go wrong. I should not even be writing a recipe about it!

The best apples to use for applesauce making, or canning/storing are:
Golden Delicious, Paula Red, Rhode Island Greening and Spartan.

This is common sense, but when shopping for apples, select firm, shiny apples, and avoid bruised, dented, shriveled apples.

Homemade Applesauce

Ingredients:
- 4 apples of your choice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. lemon juice

Instructions:
1. Peel and core apples. Cut into chunks.
2. Heat apples and water to a boil.
3. Turn down the heat to a slow simmer, for about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Add more sugar if it's not sweet enough.
5. Continue to cook on low heat, simmer, for another 10 minutes or until apples are soft enough to mash easily.
6. Remove from heat, and smash smash smash!

This make a fun activity when you're bored....
Well, I guess that means I will be making a lot of applesauce this October then! ho hum....

No comments: