Saturday, October 6, 2007

2x Mushrooms & Tofu

I have been sick with a cold this week,
so I have not been craving to eat any type of heavy or greasy meat dishes.

I had two types of mushrooms in my fridge (Enoki mushrooms, and this giant mushroom.. i have no idea what breed of mushroom it is... All i know is that I got it from my mom),
and I also had a box of tofu lying around the fridge for quite some time.

What are Enoki mushrooms?
They are a native Asian mushroom commonly found growing on tree trunks or tree roots. Enoki come in clusters of long stems topped with tiny white caps.
Enoki are rich in vitamins B1 and B2, and also contain enzymes that are converted into vitamin D in the body. Avoid overcooking to preserve their unique, crunchy, texture.

What is tofu? I should hope you already know this, but just to be safe...
Tofu is a soft food product prepared by treating soybean milk with coagulants (as magnesium chloride or diluted acids) that is rich in protein, and popular in many Asian dishes.

I decided that a light, unfatty, dish is exactly what I am looking for.
I was unsure how to make a dish using tofu and mushrooms, so i just threw them together.
I was quite surprised with the results! It was so delicious!
Try it for yourself! Especially on a sick day.

2 x Mushrooms & Tofu

Ingredients:
- 1 box of tofu (firm)
- 1 giant mushroom
(refer to the middle ingredient in the photo -->)
- 1 bag of Enoki mushrooms
- cooking oil
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp salt

Instructions:
1) Cup up tofu into little squares.
2) Slice giant mushroom.
3) Separate Enoki mushrooms (they grow in clusters, so they require separating, with their roots cut off)
4) Heat up cooking oil in pan, then throw in tofu.
5) When tofu is hot, toss in both types of mushrooms.
6) Stir for about 3 minutes. Mix in oyster sauce and salt.
7) Stir until seasoning is evenly distributed.
8) In a seperate bowl, dissolve tapioca starch in the water, then dump the mixture into your pan.
9. Let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Finished!


The dish is slippery, and gooey.
Goes down a sore-throat very easily.

Enjoy with rice porridge or regular steamed rice.

No comments: