Saturday, July 19, 2008

Miso Salmon Steaks

Miso is one of those things that I love but I rarely have!
And when I do have miso, it's usually in such small and subtle amounts, like in miso soups.
I want some miso that I can really dig my teeth into!
My Miso Salmon Steaks are the answer to my cravings!

And for those out there who have no idea what miso is:
"Miso (みそ or 味噌, Miso?) is a traditional Japanese food produced by fermenting rice, barley and/or soybeans, with salt and the fungus kōjikin (麹菌, kōjikin?) (the most typical miso is made with soy). The typical result is a thick paste used for sauces and spreads, pickling vegetables or meats, and mixing with dashi soup stock to serve as miso soup called Misoshiru (味噌汁, Misoshiru?), a Japanese culinary staple. High in protein and rich in vitamins and minerals, miso played an important nutritional role in feudal Japan"
-- (lazy Jen stole this from Wikipedia... hehehehehe)


Miso Salmon Steaks

Ingredients:
- 3 salmon steaks (about 4 -5 ounces each)
- 3 tbsp of miso paste (I prefer shiromiso/"white miso")
- 1 tsp of soy sauce (I actually used more in my original recipe, but the result came out too salty so I am cutting the soy sauce amount down to only 1 tsp)
- 2 tsp of brown sugar
















Instructions:

1. In a bowl, thoroughly mix together the miso paste, soy sauce, and brown sugar















2. Place the salmon steaks on a baking sheet.


3. Evenly spread a layer of the miso mixture across all 3 salmon steaks.















4. Heat your oven to 400 degrees, and bake your salmon for about 20 minutes, or until the edges are crunchy and the fish meat is flaky.














5. All finished! Enjoy with steamed rice =) YUMM. loooove miso.

No comments: